A Florida man has died of an infectious bacteria after eating raw oysters.
The bacteria, called Vibrio vulnificus, is often associated with eating raw or under-cooked shellfish or entering into warm coastal waters with exposed wounds.
The 71-year-old Sarasota man was said to have eaten the contaminated oysters on July 8 and died two days later, according to the Florida Department of Health. The name of the restaurant was not released.
Vibrio vulnificus is a rare disease but infections will lead to vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain, according to the department’s website. If the infection is contracted through the skin, it can lead to skin breakdown and ulcers.
It is recommended that folks do not eat raw shellfish, particularly oysters, since the bacteria exists year round in warm, brackish sea water, according to the department. Instead they should ensure that their shellfish are cooked thoroughly.